Car registered to a relative, that’s why you can’t drive it anymore: be careful

If you continuously use a third party vehicle for more than 30 days, you are obliged to renew your registration certificate at the PRA. Otherwise, you risk a very high fine.

Joint car
Joint car – Motori.News

Be especially careful about driving someone else’s car or lending your car for consecutive periods. The highway code does not prohibit it, but it is necessary to take some precautions to avoid unnecessary fines.

The person responsible for fines and traffic accidents is also the owner of the vehicle. In any case, infringements are always the responsibility of the actual owner of the vehicle, who is 100% responsible as the registered holder.

Fines for vehicles in the name of third parties

If you are using a car in someone else’s name for 30 daysyou must provide your personal data on the Registration Card. Unless you want to pay a hefty fine, between 705 and 3,526 euros. However, in this case it will be the law enforcement agencies who will have to prove that another person has habitually used the vehicle for more than 30 days.

Beware of vehicles registered to other people –

Driving a vehicle in the name of another person is part of thearticle 94 paragraph 4 bis. The law does not stipulate that a person cannot drive a vehicle in the name of another person; rather, the legislation refers tocontinuous use of the vehicle. This means that anyone can drive a third party vehicle without incurring administrative penalties.

What must be regularized is the continuous and prolonged operation of cars, motorcycles and trucks registered in someone else’s name. In fact, the law provides that after 30 days of continuous use, the vehicle must be renewed at PRA (Public Automobile Registry) and that a sticker is affixed with the data of the new user. Annotations are used only for update the archive of national vehicles.

Updating the registration document when the driver and owner are different

As we have seen, if a vehicle in the name of a third party is used for a period of more than 30 days, a special coupon must be issued to update the registration document.

Any variation of the personal data or the name of the holder it must be specified on the registration certificate, even following a corporate merger or transformation, if there is no establishment of a new legal entity other than the original one and therefore it is not necessary to fill in the PRA.

With regard to changes in the generality of natural persons holding a registration certificate, these include: date and place of birth, name and surname and place of residenceeither for judicial or registry measures, or for changes in civic or toponymic numbering.

It is possible to request a duplicate of the registration certificate for i vehicles returned to the holder. In case of loan for company vehicles for more than 30 days, a registration certificate will be issued.

Fine for a car in the name of another person.

Vehicle in the name of a deceased person

The law specifies that the rule also applies when a vehicle is registered in the name of a deceased person. Also in this case, if the heirs drive the vehicle for more than 30 days, they are required to renew the registration certificate; the PRA will issue a renewal coupon with the data of the heirs who use the vehicle in question.

Vehicle in the name of a company or who lives in the same nucleus

They can use vehicles registered to another person without the obligation to renew the registration certificate those who carry out trucking activities.

Cases where the vehicle is used by a family member living in the same household are also excluded.

Instead, all the professionals that they use vehiclesbusiness.

Loan car insurance

If the loaned vehicle is insured, there are no problems in the event of a road accident. However, there are some legal caveats to keep in mind. If the driver is responsible for the accident, the Civil Code establishes that the owner of the vehicle in question has strict liability.

In any case, the insurance will cover the costs, but the actual owner will be in a higher merit class and the premium payable the following year will also increase.

If the person you lent the car to is involved in a no-fault accident, the insurance will cover both the car owner and, in the event of injury, the friend or family member to whom the vehicle was lent.

Leave a Reply